If there’s one person you can trust for exercise tips, its all-rounder Lucy Davis. When she isn’t hitting the pavement training for a marathon, you’ll find her in the gym.
Here are her tips on how to target your quads and glutes with Bulgarian split squats.
Bulgarian Split Squats for the Quads
Lucy has three main tactics when approaching Bulgarian split squats to target the quads.
- Keep the movement straight up and down.
- Keep your stance narrower and your hips under your shoulders so you can drive straight down and then back up.
- Make sure your knee is in line with your toes — this is essential to avoid wobbling.
Bulgarian Split Squats for the Glutes
If you want to target your glutes, Lucy says you should approach this exercise a bit differently.
- Make sure your stance is wider, keeping your feet further away from the box or step.
- Lean over your knee slightly by hinging at the hips.
Take Home Message
Even though she ‘hates’ the exercise, Lucy knows that Bulgarian split squats are one of the ways to target the quads and glutes. It may not be the easiest exercise, but you can’t say it’s not effective.
Disclaimer: This advice is from Lucy Davis, a hybrid athlete – consult a PT if you want full information on how to properly perform a bulgarian split squat.